What to Look for in Physical Therapist
Shopping for a new couch, a great pair of running shoes, or a refrigerator? You know the steps it takes to make a sound decision. You ask your friends, check out reviews on Amazon and watch some videos on the product. If the features fit and the price is right (if price is a factor), then you make the purchase. But when it comes to personal and professional relationships and choosing the right one--if only it were that easy! Everyone has specific needs, especially when it comes health. There's not so much trial-and-error to be had in the health industry so selecting a great physical therapist from the start is key. After all, you want a speedy and healthy recovery and an unsuitable physical therapist will only hinder your future success.
How to Look for a Physical Therapist (PT)
There are different ways to go about seeking the right physical therapist for you. First, you may believe the only way to see a physical therapist is through a referral from your primary care physician. This is only partly true (depending on where you live)--yes, your physician may refer you to a specialist of this kind but you can also find any on your own free will (again, dependent on what state you're in). Here are some things you should consider when you are searching for a new PT (hint: you'll want to answer 'yes' to most of these questions!)
Does the PT specialize or have specific experience with your condition?
- Does the PT have a doctor of physical therapy degree from a Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education-accredited physical therapist education program and is he or she licensed by the state?
- Does the PT have positive reviews online? Have your friends or family used their services?
- Is the PT very close to your home?
- Does the PT have any post-degree education or partake in continuing education programs?
- Does the PT accept your insurance or preferred method of payment?
- Can you take a tour of the PT's facilities before making a final decision?
Everett Spine & Rehab has been around since 2003 and we provide expert care for your rehabilitation needs, from sports injuries to auto accidents and work injuries. We'd be happy to see you! Please contact us for an appointment: 425-347-8614.