How Can Chiropractic Care Help with Migraines and Headaches?
According to the American Migraine Foundation, about 39 million Americans suffer from migraines. That number is likely higher as there is a misunderstanding surrounding migraines, and they often go untreated.
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that about half of adults will experience at least one headache every year.
Whether you have headaches or migraines, both conditions negatively affect your life. Fortunately, chiropractic treatment may help.
What is Chiropractic Care?
As licensed healthcare professions, chiropractors rely on natural medicine, helping the body to heal itself.
When you go to a chiropractor, the treatment you receive usually involves manual manipulation. Manipulation of the spine is most common, but chiropractors can work on other joints as well.
To treat the body, chiropractors stretch the body and apply pressure to the areas that need treatment. They often couple pressure with a quick thrust of the hand to cause a joint to “pop” into place.
Such manipulations may help reduce pain and improve mobility of the joints.
What’s The Difference Between a Headache and a Migraine?
Migraines and headaches sometimes need different treatment, as they are different conditions. Headaches are more common and are easier to treat than migraines.
If you suffer from migraines, don’t let anyone tell you it’s “just a bad headache”. A migraine is a neurological disease that can often be debilitating.
Those suffering from migraines will have moderate-to-severe head pain. Pain often comes with throbbing, pulsating, or pounding in the head and gets worse with movement.
Those with migraines may also experience nasal congestion or a runny nose. They may experience more sensitivity to light, smells, and noise. They may also experience nausea and vomiting.
Headaches have a variety of causes and symptoms. While migraines are often chronic, headaches are usually short-lived and go away with treatment.
Often, they will go away within a few hours just by taking a simple pain reliever. Headaches aren’t usually a cause for concern, but if you experience them frequently, see a doctor.
There are a variety of different headaches, and knowing which one you’re experiencing will help you treat it. There are over 150 kinds of headaches, but here are some of the most common:
- Tension Headache — dull, constant pain on both sides of the head. May include tenderness of the face, neck, or shoulders, pressure behind the eyes, and sensitivity to light and sound.
- Suboccipital Headache — the occipital nerves sit at the back of the head, and they can suffer from inflammation or injury. Common causes include pinched nerves, muscle tightness, or injury.
- Head-Injury Headaches — common causes include sports injury and car accidents. Seek treatment if you also experience unconsciousness, seizures, memory loss, confusion, vision or hearing problems, or confusion.
- Sinus Headache — the cause is a viral or bacterial sinus infection that produces thick, off-color nasal discharge. Symptoms include weaker smell, facial pain and swelling, and fever.
- Hypnic Headache — they wake people in the middle of the night with mild-to-moderate pain on both sides of the head. This type of headache is most common in people over 50.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help With Headaches & Migraines?
Chiropractors relieve pain in the spine and neck by applying pressure to the body. Chiropractic treatment is often effective for headaches and migraines.
The type of headache you suffer from will determine if chiropractic treatment may be effective. Pain must originate from the neck, or the head and shoulder muscles, such as with tension headaches.
Multiple studies found that chiropractic treatment helped with acute and chronic neck pain, headaches, and migraines.
If you visit a chiropractor for headaches or migraines, they will probably perform spinal manipulation or adjustments. They may also give you nutritional advice that may reduce occurrences of your headaches. They are also likely to give you advice and strength-training exercises to improve your posture to reduce pain.
Chiropractic and Headaches Help in Everett
Headaches and migraines are painful and often debilitating. Constantly taking medication for your pain is frustrating and can be bad for your health. Chiropractors offer a natural solution for helping to relieve your pain. If you suffer from migraines, or headaches stemming from the head or neck area, a chiropractor may be able to help.
Reach out to us or stop by our Everett office. We welcome walk-ins but you can also call to book an appointment: 425-347-8614.